Thursday, January 10, 2008

First day of School - JMK version

Today was Joseph's first day of school. We have been so impressed with how patient he has been seeing Charles begin Kindergarten this year. He never complained or threw a tantrum, and was always so excited to hear what happened that day. He would often give me a report on Charles' day when I got home from work before Charles would.


So after having been on two waiting lists for nearly a year, we finally got a spot for him at one of the good programs in our part of town. He was so excited when we told him about it. Liz bought him a backpack a few days ago and he wouldn't take it off all day long. Last night when I put him to bed he said, "how long will it be before I wake up?" I said, "the same as every other night--you'll wake up in the morning." He replied, "oh, that's going to take too long."


This morning he was annoyed that he couldn't go right after breakfast when I took Charles to school. When we finally got to his classroom he said hello to the teachers and sat right down and started on the crafts that were laid out. On my way out of the classroom I said, "goodbye Joey; be a good boy; remember to be a good example; remember that you're a Kewish; do what's right; I love you; see you later." There was a pause, with the teachers looking back and forth between him and me, and then he finally said, "later" without even looking up.


Here are some pictures:

On his way out of the house
Waiting patiently to get in the carProud of his new backpack
Actually, VERY proud of his new backpack (Mom and Dad aren't as crazy about it, but the lunchbox is in the shape of a wheel)
Jumping right in

Then, while we were waiting to complete the registration, Tori found this little chair and had a seat. She thought she was so cool sitting in a chair roughly her size, that she started to strike a few poses.




10 comments:

Liz said...

He has only been gone a few hours and I already miss him. But I must say it is so much easier to run errands with one child that can still be contained in the shopping cart. I am glad that it is only twice a week program. I think this will be perfect for him. he is growing up so fast and is so happy to be going to school.

Anonymous said...

So cute!!! I can't believe how big everyone is getting (I just mean the kids) hahaha. Tori is such a cute little poser. I love it!!

Jenn S. said...

Awwww, I love it! Those pictures make me want to have a little boy just like Joey . . . he is too stinkin' cute!

And as always, Tori is fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Joey is growing up so fast and Tory too. I am so grateful for the blog, so that we can see everyone grow so much! I am a little sad for you that Joey was so intent on going to school that he kind of just waved you off. On the other hand just think how it would have been if he was the opposite.(Not a pretty picture)

jenafeldman said...

So great! It is nice to have a little break time and I am sure he loves it too. Tori looks so cute in the chair!

Holly said...

he looks so old!! nezzie's first day is tomorrow, i may have to call you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Ashley! My beautiful neice isn't a poser! Hahha jk. Those are great pictures. I remember you telling me that Joey is so into Charles and school that he tried to tell you about something that happened to CHARLES at school, then when Charles corrected him, he got frustrated and corrected him back. Too funny. That will be a little quiet I'm sure Liz, no planes flying around the house. I guess you don't have to worry about Joey at school and bullies, etc. I wouldn't want to mess with a kid with a shark tattoo. :)

Rob said...

Lookin' pretty svelte -- Joey and Tori. I'm so happy for him. Preschool has been fabulous for Lauren in so many ways. I'm also noticing the green vegetation, short sleeves, and shorts. Jealousy.

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Okay...we're still in, so we'll comment again. But, if you comment back, we probably won't be able to get in again and know . :(
LOVE the school pictures. What a doll that Tori is. I love how the kids are all so supportive of each other even with lil' sister settling in.
And, Laurel is right. And, Joe, I still laugh and remember you and Scottie Haws going to Primary for the first time. Both of you were hanging/clutching onto your mothers' legs and saying, 'No, no, no, I don't wanna go.' But then after that, there was NO stopping you from adventuring out. (Mom)

Anonymous said...

And, Liz, YES! Don't you just miss him. Good thing you are starting out with just the two days. (Mom K) Sorry still can't comment other than anonymously.