Many of you may know by now that we are moving from Texas to Indianapolis in the next month or two. We are very lucky to have had the opportunity to live in the Texas Hill Country and will miss so many things about it. The heavy rains we've had over the past week have reminded us of one little thing we'll miss once we get to the Midwest--the geckos singing at night. While there are a few gecko species indigenous to Texas, the ones I refer to here are none other than my old friends from my missionary days in Spain, Hemidactylus turcicus, or the Mediterranean gecko. I knew from my time in Andalusia just how loud these little guys could be, but we're still amazed at how vocal they are. It's still a cute little chirp, if you ask me.
Here is a stock photo:
And here are a few shots of the guy (gal?) that was singing above our front door tonight:
Here is a link to hear what they sound like. Not quite the classical "ge-cko" sound that gave the family Gekkonidae it's name, but I prefer the chirp anyway.
The Mediterranean geckos are just one cool species of Lacertilians we have around here. The boys favorite lizard is the ubiquitous Green Anole, which they love to catch so they can watch them turn from bright green to completely brown in just a few minutes. Of course, my favorite Texas lizard is probably the horny toad, which is not as common around the yard, but very cool nonetheless. Plus, horny toads eat ants!
That's probably enough herpetology for now, and I'm not too worried that the boys won't be able to find something to catch once we relocate. But for now, we'll enjoy hearing our geckos sing us to sleep.
Monday, August 25, 2008
One of the things we'll miss...
Posted by
Joe
at
11:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Nice post. You guys are lucky to have all those experiences.
Um, didn't know you were moving!!! WOW! Maybe I should check blogs more often. I miss you!
I can't believe you guys are moving. How far is Ind. from Chicago anyway -- you know Rob lives the majority of his life in the great state of Illinois and vacations in Utah on the weekends. Perhaps a get-together is in order. And we most definitely want to see you guys the next time you visit Utah to see family (and the Stangers of course).
Jenn
I almost forgot.....we have some great friends that moved to Columbus a few months ago. They could be a good connection for you. You never knew this move could come with built in friends did you? Aaand....thanks to blogging, you can now screen your friends before you meet them!: go to our blog and click on the "Nugents" blog link. Let me know if they pass preliminary screening and I'll make the hook up. ;o)
Jenn--I think Chicago is about a 2.5 hour drive so we're pretty close! We definitely need to find some time to visit again, if at least to keep the boys in the running for the Stanger girls hands in marriage. We'll check the Nugents blog, but if they're friends of yours I'm sure they qualify.
The Stanger girls require a hefty dowry - probably a good idea to begin annunity payments now. I'll let you know where to send the first installments.
We're bummed for us, but happy for you all. Congrats and good luck on the house hunt!
How close are you to South Bend...Dan is in serious need of a little ND Football this year! Congratulations...hope you are enjoying your new job.
Post a Comment