Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

So I think this will be the first Mother's Day where I don't talk to my mom. Even as a missionary in Spain I didn't miss a year (although technically it might not have been exactly on Sunday, but it probably was). This year she and Dad are on a cruise in the South Pacific! Not to worry--we already called and sang and wished her a happy Mother's Day the day before they left.

It's strange for us kids to see them on a cruise, but I couldn't be happier for them to be able to enjoy their time together as they start their retirement. Actually, after 42 (and no, that's not a typo, as much as Carol would like it to be) years of putting all seven of us kids first, I'm delighted to see them doing things that they can enjoy alone once in a while, and they certainly deserve it.

My mom worked her whole life so that they could raise a large family properly and responsibly. Looking back, there was always so much love and attention that I never even knew the difference. Having both come from somewhat fractious backgrounds and each having to make their own way, it's amazing to see the family they have raised and nurtured. I wonder sometimes, if our own circumstances were different, if I would have the selflessness and dedication to do everything I could for my kids and put myself last like they always did.

We surely lived a charmed family life, even if there were struggles along the way, but we never lacked love or togetherness in our family. I wonder sometimes how alone they must have felt when they started all of this, with little to no family support of their own. Perhaps that is part of what has made their bond so strong. My mom has always been a nurturer, shoulder to lean on, listener, psychologist, and even a strict disciplinarian (remember the words, "GO GET ME YOUR BELT!"?) She is responsible for a very large part of the man I am trying to be today. I have the best mom in the whole world, and I love her more than I could ever explain. Happy Mother's Day mom, and happy cruising!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is a really nice post. Thank you so much for your support,wishes, and love. I love you and your family to pieces! You make me all proud to be your Mom/Grandma. As I always say, in spite or despite of what I did or didn't do...you all turned out SO great! :)